Aside from making piles of face masks, I was able to work on some projects over the last months of the pandemic. These are the smaller ones that have been finished. I enjoyed each one! Snuggling in for some stitching and a movie in the evenings was therapy from the news! Notice they are a bit smaller than my usually more ambitious projects! It seemed hard to settle on a big project being so distracted with the news, but I was able to focus on these small pieces even during a pandemic, and feel like some progress was being made. Another, larger project will be featured in a separate post, and two others are in process (one on the design wall and one on the floor)!
And now the forest fires! Oregon is engulfed. So many friends have been evacuated, some have lost their homes, and all of us are experiencing unbelievably poor air quality which will last for weeks. I’ve made my home available to friends in evacuation areas, donated food and toiletries, and today dropped off some quilts. There are many changes to deal with on a daily basis, but I’m feeling grateful that our family is safe and our home is not at risk.
So, let me tell you about the projects shown above! The filming was for a promotional video done with QuiltFolk as they featured my DIY Barn Quilt Kits in August. You may even recognise Michael McCormack, publisher and vidoegrapher, and Bre who handles logistics, media, shipping and photography! We spent a fun morning together.
Project #1 was a Row by Row quilt designed by my friend Tracy Hickey and available at Piece By Piece as a pattern or kit.
Project #2 is a fun embroidery project by another friend Laura Wasilowski, of the Chicago School of Fusing! Great all-around person, awesome sense of humor and just plain fun and talented! This was a free pattern she offered early on in the pandemic.
Projects #3 & 4 are little Sue Spargo wool/embroidery kits I ordered on line from The Stitchin Post. I think I will frame them. The colors suit my sensibility and I will find the perfect spot to show them off.
Project #5 is a covered/wrapped clothes line table mat. I’ve made a few of these and just love the scrappy way the colors work together. The print of each fabric ends up being hidden, but the color comes through. You might notice that I’ve started leaving the tail ends of the rope exposed, and frayed! It gives it a fun whimsical look that I enjoyed, so I will definitely do that again.